The small lever. Made with Woodsies, cups and small wooden cubes (sorry, I can't find the cubes on the Hobby Lobby website, but they are in the unfinished wood section in stores).
I used three Woodsies boards (which I painted white) gluing them together in the above fashion (this is the underbelly) with wood glue. I left space for the fulcrum so that it wouldn't simply slip away and cause frustration. It needed a little niche so it would stay in place decently (which was my biggest obstacle when thinking of how to design this). The fulcrum made by gluing was several cubes together to make a wall. They were then glued to another Woodsie. The edges were sanded down later after I realized it would make it more of a real fulcrum (fulcrum's are typically triangular).
First we used unit block cubes. He got the idea of balancing them pretty quickly as he had actually done the next (big) lever first.
Balanced! I can never get enough of his proud expressions!
Balanced again! I can't even tell you how long he did this on the first go.
Experimenting by putting books in different areas of the board.
Whoa! Time to balance this out!
The only issue with this lever is probably pretty obvious. The books have to be placed well so that they don't fall off, something that frustrated him at times because his tolerance for things not going right has been so low lately. That's why I made the small lever with cups, though we continue to use this as well...when he isn't completely exhausted that is!
I would love to hear other or similar ideas so I can continue to expand upon Ty's interests. Feel free to share links!